Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

Book Review | Dorothy Must Die

| goodreads |
A bit of a disclaimer: I know next to nothing about The Wizard of Oz. I have never read the book (even though I've heard it's quite good), and I have seen the movie only once in my life. My Dad always thought the whole story was creepy, and I was never around much of it growing up.Maybe I should've picked up the actual Wizard of Oz book before starting on this... I don't know if it would've helped me out... Eh, probably not.

When I saw this book, something about it just called to me, begging me to buy it. The cover is super cool, and you all probably know that retellings are my biggest weakness in literature.

So, I got it, and started reading it immediately. From the first page, however, something just didn't strike a chord with me.

The first few chapters were pretty torturous. Amy annoyed me... a lot. Her life was pretty terrible, I get it, but she complained about things that didn't even matter! The story didn't seem to have a good set up. It was very quick, and it didn't give me enough time to care about anything that was going on in the book.

Once Amy got to Oz it finally picked up!

Oz is scary! Post apocalyptic and completely, utterly terrifying!
It was great! I loved the new, original Oz that the author created. It's definitely much different than any other Oz retelling that I have ever heard of. And the new characters she added were fabulous. Pete and the new witches (and warlock, sorry Nox) made the book for me, but, unfortunately, they were only there or 1/3 of the book at the most, the rest was all Amy.

Amy was the typical girl-next-door-who-turns-out-to-be-the-only-one-who-can-save-the-world type character. Her personality didn't really seem consistent to me. One minute she was the bound and determine feminist out to be the savior of all Oz, then the next she was a whiny teenager who spent most of the book complaining, crying for Nox or somebody (mostly Nox, though) to come and encourage her, to tell her that she "has more courage than she thinks!"
However, she did have pink hair and a pet rat... that was cool-ish. (and her last name was Gumm! Of course, you'd have to be an old movie star nerd, like me, to get that reference [look up Judy Garland to see what I'm talking about])

The only character I hated more than Amy was actually Dorothy. Which was good! It's always good when the author actually makes you hate the villain. They kind of overshadow the full Dorothy story, how she came to overlord power and all. I might have to read the prequel novella thing to fully understand that. But man was she mean! I wanted to jump into the book to kill her myself (Amy was taking far too long)!
Most of the middle dragged a lot, but the ending was explosive, and not entirely as predictable as I thought it would be.

All in all it was a pretty neutral read for me. It needed work, but the idea was a good one. Who can say no to a creepy retelling? really? 

Will I read the sequel when it comes out? Probably, we'll see. ;)

P.S. My first time using gifs in a book review. What do you think?
P.P.S. It was a Wizard of Oz retelling! It needed gifs, it was basically begging for them!

6 comments

  1. WOW! That is the craziest book idea I have ever heard of...but it sounds interesting! Thanks for sharing! :-D

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Perfect gif use. ;) I definitely need to get my hands on this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you :) Yes, you should read it, and let me know what you think when you're done!

      Delete
  3. this sounds like such an interesting read! LOVE the gifs teehee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very interesting read! Thank you ^.^

      Delete