Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

A little bit of Christmas

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there-- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
via
My Christmas spirit has finally arrived!

In the name of being honest, I must admit, I keep forgetting that tomorrow is Christmas. I don't really know why exactly...

I know it's cheesy, but Christmas really is my absolute favorite time of year, just this year has been different than I expected...

I always try to save my Christmas spirit until after Thanksgiving. Even when the commercials and songs are already playing everywhere, I hold back until we are on our way back home from my aunt and uncle's house on Thanksgiving night. And it was especially hard this year. It gets harder every year. But after Thanksgiving, all my Christmas spirit didn't quite explode like I thought it would. It flickered, sputtered, and died down to a simple buzz ringing in the back of my head.

Don't get me wrong, I've still been over-the-moon excited. I watched as my siblings decorated the Christmas tree with their favorite ornaments, I ate my weight in cookie dough as I made the Christmas cookies, I wrapped up several presents with the pretty wrapping paper, and I watched my favorite Christmas movie (Miracle on 34th Street, the old one).

Even after all of that I still kept having to remind myself that it is Christmas time, and I should be far more excited than I was. Maybe it's because of the lack of snow.

My little forest is muddy, gray, rainy, and depressing. The weather man says that we shall indeed have snow tomorrow, but I think he might just be saying that to make everyone hopeful and happy. I think the universe is trying to mess with me. It snowed on Halloween, it snowed on Thanksgiving, and now Christmas is going to be completely void of snow. Ba Humbug.

But today I woke up, and my stomach was in a knot, my excitement level flew through the roof, and my Christmasy happy feeling was finally here.

I shall enjoy this final day of preparing. I will wear my favorite ugly Rudolph sweater and belt out Christmas song until I loose my voice, and I'll read the Christmas story in my Bible tonight as I try desperately to get some good sleep.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

10 comments

  1. I happened to stumble upon your blog and let me just say: You are incredibly talented, girlie!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ever so much! you made my week :)

      Delete
  2. Eeee. I love it.

    Well, how it ended. ;-)

    This month blew past me. Though, for the last few days, life has slowed down. It has become Christmas.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      And yes, it can't really feel like Christmas until life slows down a bit.

      Delete
  3. I felt the same way this year, but my Christmas spirit has finally broken through, and it's so wonderful! I was a bit worried that I wouldn't get at all in the spirit, and that it was a side effect of getting older, but I'm glad to be proven wrong. (-:
    Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you had a Merry Christmas as well :)

      Delete
  4. Great post, Hannah - I totally get what you're saying. I always have this weird fear that my Christmas spirit won't arrive and that I'll totally miss out on Christmas. It always shows up, though, sometime or other. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmhmm! This is the first year it's been delayed for me. It's a side-effect of getting older, I suspect.

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean! I like Christmas and was looking forward to it but had a hard time realizing it was actually coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas, dear!!
    blessings,
    xo
    www.heavenly-aspirations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete