Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

Top Ten Tuesday | Most Unique Books


It's that time again... Top Ten Tuesday! (Get in on this memely action by linking up with The Broke and the Bookish)

Today's topic: Top ten most unique books I've read

This one might be a bit tricksy... but okay. I don't really think I have read too many unique books, but I can try. (this is when I am glad I have all the books I've ever read organized on Goodreads.)
***

(in no particuar order)

1. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

I read this one like two years ago, and it is still at the top of my 'strange books' shelf. It is just so much different and creepier than any other book I've ever read, and... I actually really, really liked it. I can't really say much about it without spoiling it, so you should definitely read it. I got a copy of it for Christmas, and it's kind of due for a re-read since the sequel came out.

2. The Princess Bride by William Goldman

I got this one on my e-reader when my family took a trip to Florida, and ever since I've been wanting a real paperback copy. I adored it so much, and it is so very much unique and beautiful... I should re-read this one too! (oh yes, that would be lovely)

3. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

I was in forth grade when I first read this, and it was easily my favorite book for several years afterward. I'm sure that anyone who's read this will agree that it is unique.

4. The Underneath by Kathi Appelt

I wasn't excited about this when I first started reading it. I thought it would be a cliche book about talking animals... boy was I wrong! This was surprisingly dark for a children's story about dogs and cats, but I love, love, loved it to pieces and have read it at least twice. (and I only re-read the specialest of books)

5. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo (or any book by Kate Dicamillo)

Kate DiCamillo is probably, most definitely, the most genius author of children's books. Each of her books are so unique and beautiful. My sister owns almost all of her books, but I think The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane is my favorite. (I was the child who loved stuffed animals and dolls, so this story touched my soul)

6. Shadow and Bone (The Grisha #1) by Leigh Bardugo

I actually just read this a couple weeks ago. Besides The Lord of the Rings, I'm not a huge fan of the fantasy genre. They all seem to be the same rip off of LOTR and I get tired of them easily. The whole genre seems used up, and there is nothing much you can do to make it different. But Leigh Bardugo did it! She gave me a fresh, new book that is totally different than any other fantasy I've read. And I loved it so much. I'm reading the sequel now because I just couldn't wait!

7. Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

I have been in love with fairytale retellings ever since I read Ella Enchanted when I was ten, but Marissa Meyer has done such a unique and interesting twist on them that is awesome. Sci-fi fairytales? Yes, please. (Ugh! I still need to read Cress, it is killing me!)

8. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

This was one of the first WWII books I read last year, and it killed my very soul (literally!). Everyone in the world should read this. But I'm putting it on my unique book list because of the narration. It is breathtaking, and heartbreaking. Read it to find out why. ;)

9. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

I really wish I would've read this book earlier in my life. This could've possibly been my absolute favorite book if I had read it when I was younger... I didn't, but I still loved it, and it is definietely on of my favorite books. It was different than I expected, in a good way, and definitely unique.

10. Delirium (The Delirium Trilogy) by Lauren Oliver

This one is most definitely one of the most unique YA books I have ever read, which is a hard thing to do in YA Dystopian. Lauren Oliver did it perfectly with a unique world that broke my heart.
***

Wow that was easier than I thought it was going to be...

What are some unique books you have read? Have you read some of the books I listed? What did you think of them?

5 comments

  1. Inkheart feels like it was written especially for bookworms, doesn't it? One of my favorites. Great list.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to re-read A Wrinkle In Time, I definitely look back favorably on that book, but can't remember a lot of details!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I don't remember details either... That's why I need to re-read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Wrinkle in Time, Inkheart, and The Book Thief are ones I NEED TO READ...as soon as I catch this thing called "free time".

    ReplyDelete