Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

This Lullaby

Line: The name of the song is "This Lullaby".

About: When it comes to relationships, Remy doesn't mess around. After all, she's learned all there is to know from her mother, who's currently working on husband number five. But there's something about Dexter that seems to defy all of Remy's rules. He certainly doesn't seem like Mr. Right. For some reason, however, Remy just can't seem to shake him. Could it be that Remy's starting to understand what those love songs are all about? (goodreads)

Author: Sarah Dessen

Pages: 345

Publisher: Speak

Review: I know what you are thinking... Why in the world would Hannah read this!? And, I'll agree with you, this is most definitely not one the usual books Hannah likes to read. So, why did she read it? Several reasons. 

First of all, it was around Valentine's Day when I picked it up, and that holiday just puts you in the romance-y book mood somthin' awful. Secondly, it has been on my TBR forever and a day, and I just can't will myself to take books off of my TBR, even if I know I'll never read certain books in a million years (what if I decide I do want to read it in the future and can't remember the title!?). Third and lastly, Stephanie Morrill has raved about this book more than once at GTW... so I just had to read it.

I was actually kind of excited for it, which is not my usual reaction when I have to read a romance. But, truth be told I thought it was going to be one of those books about someone with cancor or something that would make me cry... nope. This book was exactly like a chick-flick in book form. Complete with strange character names (Remy, Dexter... seriously?), parents with not-normal jobs (okay, being an author isn't entirey odd, but having a best selling adult romance author as a mom is pretty rare), and many romantical things that would most definitely not happen in real life. And, after doing some research on Goodreads, I think all of Sarah Dessen's books are like that.

Despite this book being targeted at teenage girls who are forever alone, I was actually kind of impressed with it. Sarah Dessen can write! Really well, actually. And there was at least one day while I was reading this that I couldn't put it down. I just had to know what would happen to Dexter and Remy, and find out if they would just finally get together already! 

As I was reading This Lullaby, I couldn't help but think that Remy was a lot like my sister... I don't know why, so don't ask me. I just kept compairing the two of them. 

And I actually really liked Dexter, after I got over him being sort of a creeper, of course. 

I actually do think this book would've been deserving of 5 stars, but there were just waaaay too many bad words, and far too much talk of icky stuff for my personal taste. Thank heavens there were no icky scenes, though, that probably would've made my rating plummet to 3. 

For my first hard-core teen romance book, it was okay... but I doubt I'll go looking for books in that section of the library again. It was an experience, but it's just not my kind of read. But if you do like that stuff, go ahead and give it a whack. :)

Romance: You know, I really should take this thing off of this review, because this is a romance... so romance in this book is a given.

Violence: Just teenagers expertly throwing giant cups of diet coke and stuff at each other. I need to learn how to do that! 

Recommended Age: 14-15+

Rating:

3 comments

  1. I enjoyed the rating review Hannah! It's been forever since I've visited and I do apologize! As a mom, I kinda have to say that because of the romance involved, even a little icky is too much if it's target audience is 14-15.. It may be too suggestive.. Now myself on the other hand, I love a good romance!!! Icky stuff and all but that's okay because I'm an adult.. my kids will never read it though.. HAHA! But you did a great job on this review and hey, it can't be all that bad if you gave it four apples, which is another perfect touch to your book review here at Candy Apple Books. Take care Hannah!!! And thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn...didn't realize you'd said how many bad words there were. Argh. I would have put it on my list. . . .

    walking in the air.

    ReplyDelete