Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

Requiem

First Line: I've started dreaming of Portland again.

About: They have tried to squeeze us out, to stamp us into the past.

But we are still here.

And there are more of us every day.

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancée of the young mayor.

Maybe we are driven crazy by our feelings.

Maybe love is a disease, and we would be better off without it.

But we have chosen a different road.

And in the end, that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose.

We are even free to choose the wrong thing.

Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge. (goodreads)


Author: Lauren Oliver

Pages: 391

Publisher: HarperCollins

Review: (warning, there may be minor spoilers to Delirium and Pandemonium... so read at your own discretion) It's always a bit painful when you finish a series that you love. You just always want to stay in the world, watching the precious characters grow up... but you can't. 

I have learned to absolutely adore the Delirium series. I was a bit weary of the first book, since I wasn't used to the bad words and stuff, but Pandemonium really grabbed on to me, and I have been in love with the whole story ever since. 

Discaimer: It has been awhile since I read Requiem (cough, cough, I read it in November, cough, cough), so this might not be the best review in the world, but this story has stuck with me for a long time, so maybe my thoughts will come flooding back to me.

This book left me with a broken heart. When I turned the final page I just sat there on my bed wishing I could just sob my eyes out. (wishing. Yes, I can't make myself cry very easily) The ending was not what I expected at all, but I loved it. I have been seeing loads of people on Goodreads with mixed feelings about the ending, but don't listen to them, the ending is pure perfectness! It was the kind of ending that leaves it to the readers imagination to form what happens to them all. It was beautiful.

It was just as beautiful as the characters... Lena, Julian, Alex, and Hana... she was by far my favorite, and I loved how she narrated half of the book. I love, love, loved her!(and not just because of her name ;) And I liked the new characters who were introduced as well. (Those of you who have read the book will probably hate me, but I actually liked Coral.)

The whole of the story was just painfully heartbreaking, and was written in such a beautiful way. I am absolutely jealous of Lauren Oliver's writing! It's so poetic and drop dead gorgeous!

This whole book is drop dead gorgeous! I highly recommend the Dilirium trilogy (as long as you are okay with bad words in books). 

That's all I got.

Other Fun Stuff: 
“And you can't love, not fully, unless you are loved in return.” 

― Lauren Oliver, Requiem

“How can someone have the power to shatter you to dust--and also to make you feel so whole?” 

― Lauren Oliver, Requiem

“This is what amazes me: that people are new every day. That they are never the same. You must always invent them, and they must always invent themselves, too.” 

― Lauren Oliver, Requiem

Romance: Lots of kissing, but nothing much more that I remember, but after all, this is a story about love.

Violence: A whole lot. 

Recommended age: 14-15+

Rating: 
I rate the whole Delirium trilogy five stars!

No comments