Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

Lady Thief

First Line: The fire breathed, the dying embers flaring and cooling in a hot pulse.

About: Scarlet’s true identity has been revealed, but her future is uncertain. Her forced marriage to Lord Gisbourne threatens Robin and Scarlet’s love, and as the royal court descends upon Nottingham for the appointment of a new Sheriff, the people of Nottingham hope that Prince John will appoint their beloved Robin Hood. But Prince John has different plans for Nottingham that revolve around a fateful secret from Scarlet’s past even she isn’t yet aware of. Forced to participate at court alongside her ruthless husband, Scarlet must bide her time and act the part of a noblewoman—a worthy sacrifice if it means helping Robin’s cause and a chance at a future with the man she loves. With a fresh line of intrigue and as much passion as ever, the next chapter in Scarlet’s tale will have readers talking once again. (goodreads)

Author: A.C. Gaughen

Pages: 304 (all too short) pages

Publisher: Walker Children's

Review: If you'll flash back a couple years ago, back to when I had sort of just joined the bookish blogging community, I reviewed Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen. That book might have been a bit too intense for me back then, since I was only thirteen at the time, and had just barely stuck my big toe out of the safe middle grade genre, but I did love it. It surprised me in the bestest of ways. And that ending killed me. Whatever you do, don't go back and read my old review for Scarlet, it is in desperate need of fixing up (It's just a bit of a fixer upper!), but you might remember me saying that I wanted a sequel. BADLY

I had honestly sort of forgotten about the book, but then it just randomly crossed my mind one day, and I went to check the author's website to see if she had listened to me and finally wrote a sequel. Well, she did not just give me a sequel, but a whole trilogy! Tank you ever so much! :)

I put it on hold the minute my library announced that they would get it, and I was the first person ever to get my hands on it. It's so cool to be the first to read a book at the library. :) And I seriously gobbled this thing down! It took me a day and a half to read. Tops.

I laughed, I cried, it moved me, Bob.

I didn't remember much about Scarlet, you know, since it had been two years *re-read time!*, but as I was reading Lady Thief most of it did kind of flood back to me. It was great.

I adore Scarlet. She is probably one of the best female protagonists I have ever read. Her personality is always at it's peak, which is hard to do when you're writing a character like her, some authors can have trouble sometimes, keeping their characters in character, but Scar was great the whole ride, and her voice was very fun to read.

I love Robin Hood, in any way shape or form. He is probably the only book character that I have ever fallen head over heels for. He is like my only fictional crush. This version of Robin in Scaret and Lady Thief is by far one of my favorites. I don't know why, but he just seems so much more real in these books than he does in some other retellings, and since I've been researching Robin Hood for a speech thingy, I noticed many details that were snuck in there very well.

I also love, love, loved the new characters. Alan-A-Dale was my favorite, I also loved Eleanor, and hated Prince John and Gisborne with a fiery passion! They were just the meanest bad-guys in the world!

The whole plot in this book was like a maze, full of twists and winding turns. I couldn't even guess the ending, and I can guess everything! Just like the first book, I was left with a broken heart, begging for more.

Even though I loved Scarlet, I think this one is slightly better. I was plesantly surprised with it, actually. After I had read several negative reviews on Goodreads, I was scared that this wouldn't live up to my expectations. But I'm happy to say that it did and more!

In my opinion, this book and this series does not get enough hype! Everyone, read them! I swear you won't be dissapointed. :)

Other Fun Stuff: 

Your power, your great gift, is that you never give up. When something fails you make a new plan, and another, and another. You never accept defeat. You never give up.” 

― A.C. Gaughen, Lady Thief

“He taught me so much about strength and power. That the man who is truly powerful has the option to forgive, to pardon, to forgo vengeance and violence. It's the weak man that must prove himself such.” 

― A.C. Gaughen, Lady Thief


Romance: All I wanted was for Scarlet and Rob to be together! Ugh, the ending! Excuse me while I go weep.

Violent: Those who go faint at the sight of blood shouldn't read this, since there is a lot of it in the book.

Recommended Age: 14+ for very slight cursing and violence and other stuff

Rating:



 More please!

3 comments

  1. "It moved me, Bob." Hahaha. Haven't heard that line in ages.

    This book sounds pretty great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping someone would get that :)

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, I love the addition of the new characters :D Scarlet is such a great, fierce girl and this book moved me too. It was all kinds of wonderful and in the end, very heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete