Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

The Fairy Princess

First Line: An aging king stood in his throne room, inquiring of the most recent search.

About: Enter the world of fairies and dragons once again as you enter the life of Angelique, the grandmother of the first-born hafling princess Amara. Angelique Sirlan lives a normal life as an adopted high school student preparing for graduation. That is, until she finds a gold necklace and a mysterious portal in the woods outside her home. When she goes through the portal, she meets two fairy royals who seem to believe that she is their long-lost fairy princess. Is she really the fairy princess who will inherit the throne? Step through the imagination's portal to discover what lies beyond. (goodreads)

Author: Lena Elizabeth

Pages: 124

Publisher: Createspace

Review: It is always hard for me to write a review for a book that I know the author will see. It's a little terrifying, really. I mean, a book is the author's baby, and when I am requested by an author to review their baby, it can be scary. You don't want to hit a soft spot and make them go all defensive on you, but yet you want to be honest.

This is why it has taken me forever to review this book.

I was graciously sent The Fairy Princess by it's author several months ago, and I have just been stalling and stalling because I just don't know what to say.

This is a self-published book, so it's even more tricky to say what I need to say.

The Fairy Princess is a fairy tale about a young girl, Angelique/Angel (I'm not quite sure what to call her, since in the dialogue she was called Angel, yet in the Narration she was called Angelique). Pretty straight forward. Sounds like a lot of fairy tales so far. And that's just it, this book has all of the cliches from every fantasy book out there. But that's not all, it also has every single cliche in the christian contemporary genre too!

That's right. Along with the fantasy, fairy princess story, the author also tried to weave in a story about highschool relationships, teen pregnancy, and converting fellow classmates to Christianity. (And a girl who was converted waaay too easily!) It was just confusing and strange.

Not that these two story ideas were bad ones... they just didn't work together at all.

As for the characters, they were a bit two demensional. They didn't act the way highschool seniors would. More like 6th graders. And Angel/Angelique was way too perfect.

The romance that was added to it was also extremely juvenile. The classic middle-school relationship, except this ends in marriage!

I know I probably sound like a complete meanie-pants now, so I'm just going to stop there.

To me this whole book felt like I was reading a first draft (which I probably was, but I'm not going to be quick to make assumptions). What it needed was a good round of editing, that would've made it ten million times better!

I'm sorry, Lena Elizabeth. Please don't kill me in my sleep!

Romance: Nothing icky, but very middle-school esque romance.

Vioence: There might have been a sword fight or something, I don't remember.

Recommended Age: I think anyone could read this book!

Rating: Here's where it get's hard.

Again, I felt like I was reading a first draft, and I don't think it's fair to rate a first draft. So, I'm not going to rate this book. Please understand my reasonings. I did not hate this book! It just needs work.

Thank you, Lena, for letting me read your book. I can't wait to see you grow as a writer. :)

3 comments

  1. Lena requested that I review this book on my blog as well, but I don't really post on that blog much anymore and since she never sent me a book (which isn't her fault--I never asked her to)/I've had a lot of other books lined up/I don't have the money presently to buy her book, I just haven't yet. Because it takes me so long to get around to requests sometimes, I decided that if a request was unanswered for a year it would just be terminated. Lena requested in mid-April last year, so that year will be up pretty soon.

    Nice to hear what this book was about, et cetera! You were great at speaking your mind though I know the job is tough when the author will see it :)

    walking in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, have you noticed that a really great book will have a very engaging first line? That's why I love it when you put this feature in your book reviews! :) It's nice to see the variants.

      walking in the air.

      Delete
    2. Oh, yeah, I let her know that I didn't have the money to pay for the book, and she graciously sent it to me.

      And, yes, that's why I put up the first line :)

      Delete