Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

*Surprise Review!* Fangirl

First Line: There was a boy in her room.

About: Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan . . .

But for Cath, being a fan is her life — and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?

Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind? (goodreads)


Author: Rainbow Rowell

Pages: 445

Publisher: St. Martin's Press

Review: I have no idea what made me buy this book, but I must say, this is the PERFECT book for someone like me to read around Valentine's Day.

I am not a romance girl... at all. You shall most definitely hear about my loathing of romance books in the future, but for now all you need to know is I have a strong dislike of them, and do try to avoid them as much as possible. (which is hard in the YA genre, let me tell you.) So I was very surprised when I picked up this book and ended up liking it... quite a bit, actually.

I have heard about Rainbow Rowell (LOVE her name!) a lot on Goodreads and stuff, and had seen Eleanor and Park scattered about the bookstore enough to know that she is popular amongst the young folks. I had also read that Fangirl was written during NaNoWriMo, and, being a NaNo writer, I just had to read it, you know, to convince myself that it actually is possible to win NaNo.

I was very, very surprised how fast I flew through this book. It ain't short (being almost 500 pages... okay, short pages, but still), but it is an uber easy read. And you sort of get sucked into the story and can't stop yourself from zooming on.

I have read several reviews for this book, so this is going to sound cliche, but... Cath is me!!! 

Ms. Rowell really knew how to portray a geeky girl. Cath was just so perfect, I loved her so much. I think everyone can relate to her on some level (even if you are a cool person!).

Cath and Wren both seemed like a perfect mixture of my sister and me, and it was just great.

And Levi... oh, Levi. He was fun. Nice to know that there are amazing guys out there who would actually fall for the awkward, geeky girls (I know he's just a book character, but hey, a girl can dream...).

I had a love-hate relationship with Reagan, though. Her character was superb, but every other page she was saying some sort of bad word. You sort of grow to love her, though.

The whole story was very interesting, and not as cliched as I thought it would be.

But, since I am reviewing the book I have to point out the few things that I didn't care for. 

There were several, several bad words. While I do try to just ignore the bad words, it was kind of hard to in this book, because they were everywhere... Like cockroaches. There were also many times when Reagan would talk about icky stuff, and towards the end Cath kept wondering when she should do... it. (you know what I mean!) Why is it that every YA book seems to think it has to have bad words or icky stuff to be something!? Idk, but it's stupid in my opinion. I would love this, and many other books, a million times more if it didn't have bad words or icky stuff... just saying.

Okay, here's the last thing, and I know you all will probably hate me for bringing this up, but since I'm a Christian, and a Conservative, I feel like I kind of have to. Cath's fanfiction characters are gay... and it creeped me out. Phew, I said it. Yes. I didn't care much for the fanfiction parts, but it wasn't as bad as it could be. I just wanted to warn you if you don't feel comfortable reading a book with homosexual stuff in it. :P

Anyway, a spectactular read for nerdy girls on Valentine's Day. :)

Romance: I'm not quite sure exactly what genre this is... but it is romance to me.

Violence: I don't want to give any spoilers... but I don't think there was violence, or if so, not too much.

Recommended Age: 15+

Rating:

7 comments

  1. Thanks for your honest and brave review! I really like reading your book reviews because you are honest and clear about what's good and bad in the books:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know this was a NaNo book! THAT'S SO COOL! I absolutely loved Fangirl. The only part I didn't really like was the fanfic, because it was soooo....eh. Boring? I just wasn't interested in Simon Snow because I wanted to read more about Cath!! I really related to Cath and Levi was super adorable and Nick....gah. Punch him. I'm still angry. Reagan was awesome...I think she really balanced out Cath nicely. And I'm happy with how it ended, though it was a little bittersweet, but Wren and Cath DO make a good team. This was so a 5-star for me. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fanfic parts were my least favorite part too... I would've skipped them, but then I wouldn't feel as if I had fully read it.

      Delete
  3. Hi Hannah! I am asking permission to use one part of your book reviewing "format"--adding the first lines of books to my reviews. :)

    Unfortunately because of the inappropriate content I don't think I'll be adding this one to my virtual shelf, but it sounds a little fun otherwise :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah you can use it. It's not copyrighted or anything, so go ahead. :)

      Delete