Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

Guest Post || Hannah Mary





 Hi! I'm Hannah. I'm seventeen years old, and I live in Ireland. I'm a reader of books, a drinker of tea, a maker of crafts, and (most importantly) a follower
of Christ. I take a lot of
photographs and I can be a total fangirl about certain things. I blog over at
Álainn.



 Let me just start off by saying: I love reading. It's one of my favorite things in the whole world. Recently, I started wondering: why do I love to read? This got me thinking about all the ways why reading is important, and how it has helped me. Because this was a good reminder to myself, I decided to share them with you, because I'm sure a lot of you are readers as well.


 Of course, these are not the reasons why I read. To be honest, I never needed a reason to read. But I think it's important to remember that reading is so much more than just something fun to do in our spare time - it can be really beneficial to us.


I. Perspective




  It's so easy to get caught up in our own little worlds, and to focus only on our own personal problems.  For this reason, books can act like a wake-up call. Through books, we get a glimpse into a life that's different from our own.  Through reading, we can learn to better understand the people around us.



II. Knowledge

 This onemay be pretty obvious, but it's certainly true. Reading is important from an educational point of view. Not only do we gain knowledge about a wide variety of subjects from reading fiction - subjects like history, geography, and foreign cultures - but it improves our vocabulary and helps us in writing skills. In a nutshell: reading makes you smarter!
III. Understanding




 The words "knowledge" and "understanding" are similar - but knowledge has more to do with learning facts, and understanding has more to do with discerning and comprehending. Good books make us think about important, tough subjects. They makes us think deeply about the world we live in. Fantasy books, like The Chronicles of Narnia, show us another way of looking at life. Dystopian literature, like The Hunger Games or The Giver, gives us an (often shocking!) picture of humanity. Good books "improve the mind" and make us think.



 One thing I'd like to add is that I'm talking about good books here. I know that there's a lot of trash out there that we should steer away from. Not all books are good to read.


 I hope that this was a helpful reminder to you, like it was to me!





No comments