Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

Books and movies are like apples and oranges

Last week, my Dad took my brothers and my sister and I to see The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. In my family it is the biggest rarity ever when we go to a theater. We usually have to wait two and a half years after the movie has been released on DVD before we ever see it. And when we do go to a theater, it is usually the teeney-tiny small town theater that only plays one movie over the weekends, with the less-than-extraordinary popcorn. Yeah, you know the one.

Anyway. I was having bitter-sweet feelings over seeing this movie. I had heard mixed reviews, and, honestly, after I heard that Legolas was going to be in it, not to mention the seemingly pointless female elf (I don't even care enough to learn her name) that they added, and the even more pointless romance between her and Kili, I just knew in my gut that this is where Peter Jackson would fail us.

I am one of the biggest LOTR fans out there.... I am currently on my third re-read of the books, and have seen the movie more times than I care to count, I even took the past two school years studying LOTR for school! (this is where homeschool rocks!) So, in my book, Peter Jackson is a pretty awesome guy. Of course, I went to see The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey last year, and while it did not impress me as much as the LOTR movies did, I was pretty okay with it.

So, as I sat in the dim theater, nibbling on my less-than-extraordinary popcorn, I was just crossing my fingers, and hoping that this wouldn't be a flop.

It was a good movie, okay. But it did flop a bit from the book... or, more like flopped a whole stinkin' bunch from the book.

I probably wouldn't have minded it all as much if it wasn't for the lovey-dovey mush between that girl elf (still don't know her name) and Kili. Seriously, you could (sort of) literally feel the awkward in the theater during those scenes. :P But that < plus everything else added to a disappointment.

Of course there were a couple glimmers of hope.... like the ever awesomeness of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman together (not to mention Benedict Cumberbatch's voice for Smaug! *soooo cool!*), and (my personal favorite :) Peter Jackson's cameo (you'd have to be a completely LOTR movie fan to get it, but it was pretty epic. I was laughing!).

I guess I've sort of learned that movie producers/directors/makers will always disappoint me. I have yet to see one movie adaption of a book that follows it flawlessly. And, really, I'm usually pretty forgiving. I understand perfectly well that it's hard to turn a book into a movie. And I understand that sometimes you can't fit everything.

It's always a magical feeling when you learn that a book you really love is being turned into a movie. It brings the book to life in a way. You get to see the characters you had for so long only been able to see in your head portrayed by your favorite actors. And the world you wished was real is --in a way-- real.

I will forgive all the folks who made The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug for now, and I suppose I will see the next movie next year and give them another chance. And, despite what I might think now, I'm sure there could be a reason for all the bleck they added to the story.
Books and movies are like apples and oranges. They both are fruit, but taste completely different.-Stephen King

What were your thoughts of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug?

What's your favorite book to movie adaption? 

2 comments

  1. Ah, It was just as much of a disappointment for me:(But i must say, absolutely loved this post. You write in such a beautiful way, i just want to read a book by you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it except for the stuff between Tariuel (that is the girl elf's name) and Kili. It was so disappointing. And then they had Bofur act kind of stupid for a bit which I didn't like because he was one of my favorite dwarves. Other than that I think it was a great movie but not a movie you would like love.

    ReplyDelete