Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

Code Name Verity

Alrighty, looks like I've got a lot of catching up to do with reviews... oh well.
***
First Line: I am a coward.

About: I have two weeks. You’ll shoot me at the end no matter what I do.

That’s what you do to enemy agents. It’s what we do to enemy agents. But I look at all the dark and twisted roads ahead and cooperation is the easy way out. Possibly the only way out for a girl caught red-handed doing dirty work like mine — and I will do anything, anything, to avoid SS-Hauptsturmf√ľhrer von Linden interrogating me again.

He has said that I can have as much paper as I need. All I have to do is cough up everything I can remember about the British War Effort. And I’m going to. But the story of how I came to be here starts with my friend Maddie. She is the pilot who flew me into France — an Allied Invasion of Two.

We are a sensational team. (Goodreads)


Author: Elizabeth Wein

Pages: 447

Publisher: Egmont Press

Review: I don't know what is up with me at the moment. It seems that recently I have been reading a lot of WWII books, but, you know what? I'm not even sorry. WWII books are kind of amazing, I'm learning.

I wasn't quite sure what to think of Code Name Verity when I first bought it a couple months ago. I just picked it up, and didn't find anything else that interested me, so I bought it.

This book sort of brought me out of a reading slump.

The first couple chapters were a bit confusing, and it took me awhile to be able to get totally immersed in the story, but once I did I was hooked.

Let me just say I loved Verity and Kittyhawk's (I'm just going to call them by their code names for this review) voices. They were both so amazing, and made me laugh quite often as I was reading. The way that the author decided to write this book was genius, as it's told in a memoir-like style between the two girls.

Their friendship was absolutely beautiful, and the ending was tragically poetic.

This is the kind of book that you just have to experience. Reading this review probably won't help you to determine whether you should read it or not, you'll have to decide that for yourself.

All I can say is that this book was incredible, while there may be a couple bad words, (I don't entirely remember) a kiss, and a bit of inappropriate behavior from some strange guys.

Other Fun Stuff: 
“It's like being in love, discovering your best friend.” 
― Elizabeth Wein, Code Name Verity


“KISS ME, HARDY! Kiss me, QUICK!” 

― Elizabeth Wein, Code Name Verity

“But I have told the truth. Isn't that ironic? They sent me because I am so good at telling lies. But I have told the truth.” 

― Elizabeth Wein, Code Name Verity

Romance: Like I said, there was one kiss, but besides that not much

Violence: It's based in WWII what do you think?

Recommended age: 12-13+

Rating:

4 comments

  1. I love this book, too. I usually shy away from war stories, but I'm glad I read this one. So heartbreakingly good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you just got tagged in the You Know You're a Writer Tag. You can see the tag here: http://goo.gl/pLbf2p
    ~Sarah Faulkner

    inklinedwriters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I'm just commenting here to let you know that I've nominated you for The Liebster Awards! Feel free to answer the questions on my blog, but you don't have to answer them if you don't want to. :)

    Abbey
    justreviewingbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete