Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

Legend

First Line: My mother thinks I'm dead.

About: What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets. (Goodreads)


Author: Marie Lu

Pages: 320

Publisher: Putnam Juvenile

Review: I don't know. I just don't know. That is what I was thinking throughout the whole of this book. My feelings were just all confused. Is this good, is it not-so-good? What? #mixedemotions

When I first started it, and got to meet Day, I thought, hummmm, this is an interesting character, I kinda like him. Buuutttt.... then I met June, and it kindd of went downhill from there.

It's not that I didn't like the book. I did. But emphasis on the eh like.

For one, it's a dytopian, and since The Hunger Games hit the big time, dystopians have been so overdone. If you want to write a dystopian nowadays, you're going to have to make it super different. And there was just nothing that really stood out to me in this book. It was all pretty much cliche dystopian stuff.

If I had read this before The Hunger Games, or even Divergent, which I only just read a couple months ago, it would probably have a better slot on my bookshelf of honor. But, since I have read several UH-MAY-ZING dystopians, it just kind of leaves this one in the dust... sorry. 

As for the story in general. It was pretty predictable for me (the freak of nature that can guess any ending in any book, movie, etc.), nothing really jumped out and surprised the noodles out of me. I was just reading with a blank expression on my face.

And the characters... I did start liking Day (even though I absolutely hated his name... until I learned it wasn't his real name at all... *spoilers*) but soon, he got old, and both his voice and June's voice melded together into one voice that sounded exactly. the. same! If Day's chapters hadn't had the fancy gold font, I would've gotten really confused about who was talking when.

I also got really confused about their age. I kept thinking that they were 18 or older, but nope. They were both 15!

The whole thing felt pretty far fetched. June, a 15 year old, and has graduated college, a lead agent in the government whatever, and is pursuing a (very serious) relationship. Wha? It just didn't feel realistic. And I'm 15!

And another thing I feel inclined to talk about is the romance. It's all romance! Without all the ick romance this book would have nothing.

This book was just so-so for me. I liked it, but not as much as I had originally hoped.

Romance: Kissing, and maybe touching, I don't remember. But this book was just chuck full of gooshy romantic stuff.

Violence: Every chapter either June or Day has to beat someone up. Pretty much.

Recommended Age: 13+

Rating:

2 comments

  1. i had mixed feelings about the book, too, but i liked it all right overall. i actually read that is was supposed to be like a modern version of les miserables, day being jean valjean and june being javert. i thought that was quite interesting, but yes, cliche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read about your experiences! You write beautifully about this. changeparts !!! I have enjoyed reading your articles. They are very well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort in writing the blog. I am appreciating your effort.

    ReplyDelete