Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

The Book Thief

First Line: First the colors.

About: It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.

Liesel Meminger is a foster girl living outside of Munich, who scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement. (goodreads)


Author: Markus Zusak

Pages: 552

Publisher: Knopf Books

Review: I don't remember how I first found out about this book. Maybe I saw it on Goodreads first, or came across it at a bookstore or something. I don't know. All I know is that I am super, super glad I did find and read it.

What I soon found out while reading this book is that this is the kind of book that grabs hold of your heart and never, ever lets go.

From the moment I began reading to the minute I turned the last page I was completely enthralled in this book.

It's unique, and different from anything I have ever read before, and it's absolutely beautiful!

I knew before I even started it that it is narrated by Death.I don't think it spoils anything to say that it is narrated by Death, in fact if you don't know it before reading you would probably be very confused.

At first I though it was kind of odd, to have Death tell a story. Just saying that sounds confusing. How could Death narrate a story? I don't know how, but Markus Zusak found a way, and it's absolutely brilliant!

The whole writing style and plotting is perfection. It's told in a way that just keeps you flipping the pages again and again and again until it is over.

You could see the development in the characters very, very nicely. 

For some reason I felt a connection with Rudy the most, he was probably my favorite character. But I really did love all of the characters. They all grow, and the end is so heartbreaking...

It's not often I cry when I read a book. Clockwork Princess was the first book ever to make me cry, and it killed me. I cried just as much, if not more, when reading this book.

After I finished The Book Thief, I had to take a reading break for a day or so to really think about things. This book... it's just so powerful, it makes you think... really think.

Ahhh I loved it so, so much. I can't say much more without spoiling it, but, yes. READ IT!

Romance: Not much... there was a character who kept asking for a kiss from the main character, but he never got it. There was a bit of nudity, but not in the romantic way... you'd have to read it to understand.

Violence: you know, bombs, beatings, all the fun violence of WWII.

Other Fun Stuff:

“The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you.” 

― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief 


“I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.” 
― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

“Like most misery, it started with apparent happiness.” 
― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

“I am haunted by humans.” 
― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

Recommended Age: I'd say that you would need to be at least 13+ to fully appreciate this book, possibly older.

Rating:

A definite five starer!



4 comments

  1. I've heard much about this book. I saw it at the library one day and read the back of it. I was hooked immediately. My dilemma? I already had a huge handful of books with me. :P But I'll be going back to read- soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hannah! You've been tagged in the Teen's Top Teen post. You don't have to do this if you don't want. Either way, all the information is over on my blog.
    http://inklinedwriters.blogspot.com/2013/08/teens-top-10.html

    Great post!
    ~Sarah Faulkner

    www.inklinedwriters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm IN LOVE with this book- I'm currently reading it. Ah, Hannah, I think I might die if you stopped reviewing book. Sooooooooo, don't! Ok?

    Layla.

    ReplyDelete