Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

Redwall

First Line: Matthias cut a comical little figure as he wobbled his way along the cloisters, with his large sandals flip-flopping and his tail peeping from beneath the baggy folds of an oversized novice's habit.

About: Redwall Abbey, tranquil home to a community of peace-loving mice is threatened by Cluny the Scourge - the evil-one-eyed rat warlord - and his battle-hardened horde of predators. Cluny is certain that Redwall will fall easily to his fearsome army but he hasn't bargained for the courage and strength of the combined forces of the Redwall mice and their loyal woodland friends.   

Author: Brian Jacques

Pages: 352

Publisher: Red Fox

Review: I have been hearing about Redwall for a looonnnnggg time. So many people have blogged, or told me about the series, so it was natural that I would eventually pick it up.

I know it's hard to believe, but I did not read this book when I was little. Yeah. My reading lists given to me when I was young consisted of a bunch of historical novels, (and Roald Dahl, of course) I'm not complaining, I just never really read books like this when I was young, which is a shame, because I think I would like it much more than I did if I had read it when I was younger.

There was nothing wrong with this book. It was a good story, and I loved the different voices of each character (Brian Jacques is a genius when it comes to voices and accents), but for some reason I couldn't ever get into the story.

That is probably the reason I took forever to read it. I just could not get into it at all. It was just boring to me. 

The writing was good, but it just didn't suck me in like writers usually do.

I also had a whole pile of other books I was dying to read, which didn't help me in this case, because Redwall was a good twenty days overdue at the library. (My library hates me)

It just turned to be a chore to read.

I didn't like Matthias at all. It felt like hi personality kept changing. Like one minute he was super nice and compassionate  then the next he was threatening someone in a really rude way. I don't know. And every other creature at Redwall made it seem like Matthias was the most perfect mouse who ever lived! I might be overreacting, but that's what it seemed like to me.

And the ending was very cheesy to me... I don't know. Like the part with Cornflower and Matthias, I just rolled my eyes. "Oh brother..."  

This book just wasn't my cup of tea. 

I'm sure all you Redwall fans are hating my guts, but this book never got me going.

I wanted to like, but I just couldn't.

Romance: Not a kiss or nothing.... but at the end there is a really cheesy thing that happens. I'm not going to say anything for fear of spoilers, but you all know it's going to happen the whole book. The end... errrgggg!

Violence: I think it's odd that parents won't let their kids read Watership Down because it's violent. But everyone loves Redwall. Redwall was ten times gorier than Watership Down! Woodland creatures bashing each others brains out... and the writer is very descriptive about it... I was fine with it, but I don't know about you.

Recommended Age: 9+ Maybe younger, it depends. 

Rating:
This book was just in the middle all the way through, not terribly bad, and not terribly good... so it makes a perfect 3. :)

2 comments

  1. Darn that you couldn't get into it. . .I really liked it, but I understand. Everybody's different! The rest of this series has basically the same plot as "Redwall", with some different characters and sort of different problems, so it gets slightly boring after a while. But I really liked "Redwall" :)

    Assssmodeoussss. . .Assssmodeousssssssssss. . . .

    ReplyDelete