Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

Where my Heart is Happiest // A Bit of Fernweh

Awhile ago, I read this post on Emma's blog and learned a new word, Fernweh...

(n.) an ache for distant places; the craving for travel 
Fernweh. Not only does it look pretty on a page, it's meaning is something near and dear to my heart.

According to my mom, I have spoken of traveling since I was young. Though I don't remember it, she claims I used to talk about moving far away when I got bigger. I also remember when I wanted to be a missionary so bad so that I could go somewhere cool.

source
So, yeah, travel has been something I've wanted to do for a long time.

I have now grown a heart for Europe. My traveling dreams have changed from wanting to tour Europe for a year to living in Paris for the rest of my life. (you know, once I graduate) I just want to go somewhere.

It's kind of hard for me, I have barely left the state, let alone the country, plus with a family of nine plane tickets can't be cheap. My mom doesn't really like to travel, and my parents would never let me go somewhere out of country by myself, even if I did save up the money myself. (Watching the movie Taken, has shaken them up on letting their daughters travel alone in Europe.) I have tried asking my dad if he could try to get a job transfer to Ireland for a year, but he just sort of laughed at me. (but I shan't give up!)

Sometimes I feel stuck. There could be weeks upon weeks where I could be stuck in the house. Especially being homeschooled.

I try to tell myself that this must be where God wants me right now, but it's hard.

Whenever I'm feeling a wave of fernweh, I have found that reading helps, but sometimes it makes me want to travel even more.

I'm a bird without wings. My heart longs for travel, but i am unable to fly.


6 comments

  1. I hope your dreams come true one day Hannah! I'm sure God will lead your path to Europe one day...just wait on his perfect timing. I'm honestly jealous of those people who have hearts to travel. While I love traveling, I've never had this hardcore desire to just pack up my things and leave. One day for you girly...one day. :)

    xoxo,
    ~Michlyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written. That word describes me as well. I have always wanted to travel and explore all over Europe. There are so many things to discover and see, taste, smell! It's good you have a passion to travel and God shall answer your heart's desire in His time! (Though the waiting process can be hard, especially for me) I went to England a few years back and I never thought I would go there, but God provided me the funding and safety to go. It definately fueled my gyspsy feet even more but I am glad that a whole different world and culture was opened to me.
    Sorry for the long post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too Hannah. Whenever I see a long, strait, road, I just want to go, and go, and go. I want to explore. Go to places..England....
    I get cabin fever too sometimes..I'm home schooled too...(I LOVE being home schooled though).
    And I read when I feel like traveling and sometimes it just makes me wish harder.
    But you know, God's the one who put a love for travel in our hearts. We want to travel. So..we're good.
    Someday you and I will travel to all kinds of amazing places. Just don't. give. up. The end.
    Love you,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always dreamed of going to Paris. So when you graduate, call me and we'll go live there together. Right next door to the Eiffel Tower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about asking your parents if you can go to a vacation with one of them or an adult they trust?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I to would like to go some place in the world, but i have no idea where i would like to go. But i would like it to be somewhere out of country.

    ReplyDelete