Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

The Maze Runner

First Line: He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air.

About: When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. 

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind. (goodreads)


Author: James Dashner

Pages: 374

Publisher: Delacorte Press 

Review: I have seen this book around for awhile, at bookstores or on goodreads and stuff, but hadn't ever thought of reading it. I didn't know what it was about or anything, and the cover was strange, I couldn't figure out what is on it. Then Hannah Elise recommended it to me, and I was just like "...Ugh, okay, I'll read it to review it," but to tell you the truth I probably wouldn't have ever read it if it hadn't been recommended.

Getting this book was a bit difficult. I typed 'The Maze Runner' in the search box on my library's website, but it didn't come up, so I decided to wait and see if i could get it some other way. But time passed, and no book. I tried the website again, ('cause my family never goes to the library in person, I have to put things on hold to get anything :P) but this time I typed 'Maze Runner' and viola, it came up. *facepalm*

Anyway, long story short, I got the book. And determined that my library needs a better website. 

The moment I finished the first page my thoughts were "...This is weird... but I think I like it."

Let me explain. The book starts when Thomas enters this... place... and he has no idea who he is or why he is there. So the whole book is full of questions. The reader is just as confused as Thomas throughout most of the book (of course you will figure a lot out at the end... but I'm not saying what happens) which is kind of genius. 

I couldn't help feeling the sense of genius throughout the whole book, trying to figure out who Thomas is.

And this book was also super refreshing. It is a dystopian, but it's in a guy's point of view, and it's actually in third person! Reading in third person almost seemed weird after all the first person books I've been reading. Thank you, James Dashner!

I just loved the idea of the whole book, the maze, though scary, sounds like a cool place. Some of the things in the book was a bit hard for me to visualize, like the Grievers, I just couldn't imagine them, but that might just be me.

My favorite character was Chuck. I don't know why. But Thomas's relationship with him and several other characters were strange. Like one moment he thinks Chuck is annoying, and the next he thinks of him as a little brother who needs protecting. I just thought the relationship was a bit inconsistent.

Gally and Alby were a bit annoying, but I could handle them. I did like Newt, he was my second favorite. And, actually I didn't like Teresa. She was just too perfect.

When I turned the last page, my mind was literally blown. I want the next book! 

Great. I've started another series.

:)

Romance: None really. but i think there will be some between Thomas and Teresa in latter books.

Violence: Okay, here's the thing, a lot of people don't like this book because they think there is a bunch of violence. And while there was a little bit, most of it was self defense against the Grievers. Plus, violence in books doesn't bother me, and I've read way worse. 

Other fun stuff: 

“You are the shuckiest shuck faced shuck in the world!” 

― James Dashner, The Maze Runner

“Shouldn't someone give a pep talk or something?" Minho asked, pulling Thomas's attention away from Alby.

"Go ahead," Newt replied.
Minho nodded and faced the crowd. "Be careful," he said dryly. "Don't die.” 
― James DashnerThe Maze Runner

“I promised him!" he screamed, realizing even as he did so that his voice was laced with something wrong. Almost insanity. "I promised I'd save him, take him home! I promised him!” 

― James Dashner, The Maze Runner

“Maybe you should just press the button” 

― James Dashner, The Maze Runner


Recommended Age: 13+

Rating:



1 comment

  1. Glad you liked it, Hannah! I really disliked it because of the violence. {Maybe I'm just a wimp.} It was the Gladers' sending that kid out to the Grievers that made me put the book down. I thought it was nasty of them to do that. If he really did get the "death penalty" couldn't they have been a little swifter about it? It wasn't his fault that he got stung by a Griever, was it?

    ReplyDelete