Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

The Lightning Thief

First Line: Look, I didn't want to be a  half-blood.

About: Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus' stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves. (goodreads)


Author: Rick Riordan

Pages: 389

Publisher: Disney Hyperion

Review: I think I waited to read this book for a rather long time. My dad had bought it for my sister a year or so ago and I decided I would read it after her. But she read a few chapters and didn't like it. Naturally I didn't really want to read it if she hadn't liked it, so the book has been collecting dust on her book shelf for a long time. 

I don't know what possessed me to finally read it, but I finally thought "Okay, I'll just read it to check it off my list," and with that, I started reading it.

I had already read a lot the day I started this book. After finishing the last fifty or so pages in Eragon I decided to read the first chapter of The Lightning Thief. Well, one chapter turned into two chapters, two chapters turned into three chapters, and before I knew it I had read 100 pages. I was surprised with myself.

I am usually not a fan if this type of middle-grade book (they just reek middle school), and while this book did have its episodes of obvious middle grade juvenile stuff, I was kind of impressed.

The idea is a very unique one. And it is very educational. I learned more about Greek Mythology reading this book than I have in my entire life! 

I'm positive that there is no such thing as Greek gods in real life, like in the book, but it was creative. 

The characters were bitter-sweet for me, they had their moments of brilliance, then their moments of ick, but all in all I liked them. I think I loved Grover the best. I honestly didn't expect him to have a very big roll in the book when i first met him, but i learned to like him a lot. *spoiler* I was sad that he had to go in the end, I hope he comes back in future books *spoiler*

The biggy for Christians with these Greek mythology books is, what about God? And, it's tricky for me to weed this out. okay, the book never denied the existence of God. They mentioned Him once and said that God is on a larger scale. But after that they don't really talk about Him. I don't think that the author is trying to make people believe in Greek gods, he's just trying to teach kids greek mythology in a fun way. I just see it as a fun story than someone trying to deny God. i don't know if that makes sense, but if you guys have any other ideas about this subject, let me know.

So yeah, despite the fact that this book is middle-grade, I was pleasantly surprised. I can't wait to read the others.

Romance: i suspect something is going to happen between Annabeth and Percy, even though there wasn't any romance in this one, i can see it coming in future books. Annabeth does have a little crush on Luke, but it fades (you'll learn why at the end of the book).

Violence: killing, monsters, swords. Need I say more?

Recommended Age: 10+ A great book for middle-grade boys. (have to throw that in there because all I could think about while reading this book was my 10 year old brother)

Rating:


While it was good, it did have it's middle-grade moments.

3 comments

  1. I love the whole series! They get a little darker as Percy grows. A very good series! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the second series the best. Are you going to continue to read them. The second series is more mature, which is why I like them.

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I liked the storyline but the modern, hideous writing style made me want to puke. I tend to judge harshly upon modern books and thus, haven't found many I like but yeah...:) Anyways, it's not that I hated these books, I just despised the writing style.

    Layla.

    ReplyDelete