Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

Harry Potter just Annoys the Heck out of me...

I apologize in advance to all of the Harry Potter fans out there.

Okay, I haven't ever read Harry Potter... I'm not really allowed to. And I'm sure it's a great story, and J.K. Rolling is probably an amazing writer, but that's not why Harry Potter annoys me.

source
The thing that annoys me is that whenever there is a hint of magic in any book/movie/etc., all of the die-hard Harry Potter fans explode. "Oh. My. Goshies! They are soooo trying to copy Harry Potter. blah."

I was watching the trailer for the Inkheart movie... or at least I thought it was. It ended up to be a trailer review thing. So it played the trailer, then at the end these two people popped up out of nowhere and started talking about the trailer, and what they think about it.

The first thing the lady said after the trailer played was; "...I don't know, it looks like another Harry Potter." Now if anyone has ever read Inkheart, you would know that it isn't anything at all like Harry Potter. sure, there is action, and sure there is super power abilities, but that doesn't mean that the author of Inkheart was trying to make another Harry Potter. 

J.K. Rolling did not invent the use of magic or super powers in books, but yet everyone acts as if she did. 

The fans pretty much think that Harry Potter is the only thing worth living for. 

I don't know if you have noticed, but there are about a bazillion people who read only Harry Potter. And, I don't know, it just annoys me.

I don't know if you guys have noticed it, but I have. Harry Potter fans are... quite passionate. I don't really care for it, but they try to shove it down my throat, make me like it, but, it isn't working.

I understand. I'm a fangirl myself, but this is just insane.

Please let me know if you feel the same way, because, I don't really think I'm making sense.

I just feel like us non-Harry Potter fans should say something about all of this madness.     

16 comments

  1. I. SO. UNDERSTAND.

    I've not read or seen Harry Potter either because of my parents but I know a lot about, and you are right. Harry Potter fans are a lot like the Twilight fans in that they're extremely opinionated. I've often heard, "You're not part of the Harry Potter fandom? WHO'S NOT PART OF THE HARRY POTTER FANDOM. YOU HAVE NOT LIVED." And I'm always jumping back like, "wow, burn me at the stake already, my goodness."

    You are not alone. :)

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you! I've never been crazy about it (not allowed to read or watch it, either) and it's everywhere. :P

    God bless,
    Joy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! I'm not allowed either. It's hard for us though, to try to make a good argument when we know nothing about it to say what is what. I'm glad you made this post!

    ~Katy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh looks like I'm not the only one not supposed to read/watch Harry Potter...I AM NOT ALONE - that's nice to know. :) I haven't had the experience that you wrote about up there with Harry Potter ^ but I know what you mean... :)
    xo
    sw
    http://afreemindsw.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree! It's the same with Hunger Games, Divergent, One Direction, etc (though I'm not judging you fans, it's Ok to be a fan, just don't over-do it)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read Harry Potter, but I hope to someday (soon!). I've heard really good things about them and am excited about reading them.

    I know it's hard, when one is part of a die-hard fandom like that, not to act "jealous" and everything, but that's ... ridiculous! The poor author of Inkheart! And, in fact, LOTR fans could even say Rowling copied Tolkien, because there are some very similar elements to the stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, once I saw this funny thing. Someone was reviewing LOTR and they kept going on and on about how Tolkien obviously copied J.K. Rowling. It was ridiculous! :P

      Delete
    2. Oh my, please tell me you're kidding. . . .

      Delete
    3. Nope, here is the text from the picture;

      Overall, I like Lord of the Rings. However, I do feel that Tolkien kind of rips off Harry Potter in many ways. There are several parallels, such as elves, dwarfs, wizards, goblins, trolls, magic (especially invisibility), etc. Sauron is referred to as “Dark Lord” just like Voldemort is. There is also the elder white-haired bearded wizard who serves as a mentor, Gandalf, who is reminiscent of Dumbledore. Some of the character names are similar, such as Wormtongue as opposed to Wormtail, too. There is even a gigantic spider (Shelob) at the end of “The Two Towers” that reminds one of Aragog from Chamber of Secrets. I even noticed that the plots of both series begin with the protagonists’ birthday. Now I see that Tolkien, this unoriginal bastard, is coming out with The Hobbit in December. This would be fine, but why didn’t he just write this book first to begin with? I still like Lord of the Rings, though–don’t get me wrong–but I wonder if Tolkien has ever said in interviews whether he borrowed elements from Harry Potter. I’ll be watching the extended DVDs later this week and I think he’s featured on the commentary track, so I look forward to that.



      yup, it's funny, but just... ugh! see this guy didn't even do the research, he just automatically assumed that LOTR was a Harry Potter rip off. Anyway...

      Delete
  7. Totally understand. It is so annoying looking at all of the pictures. One time I even gotten invited to a group! I haven't read the books just because it doesn't interest me. I am not allowed to watch the movies. But ahh it so annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm not allowed to read Harry Potter either because of the magic spells.

    I don't agree with people reading them but that is their business. What I do know is that people have different tastes and there's nothing wrong with that. we are all unique. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love both books. They are both quite different. Okay, though, I do find it a little bit sad about the Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter thing. XD They are completely different!! ;)

    “I don't believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book.”

    ― J.K. Rowling

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could read the books if I wanted too, but I totally agree with you. People have advertised them way too much and Harry Potter fans are ca-ray-zyyy. I can't handle it and it also makes me annoyed.

    Of course I don't care if anyone else is a Harry Potter fan, and that's good for you. Just not for me.

    ~Michlyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I feel you there! I don't read or watch Harry Potter either(not allowed.) It's OK to be a fan,but like you said, J.K. Rowling didn't invent magic or super powers! You're not alone:)
    -EMILY

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read Harry Potter (and loved it) and yes J.K Rowling is a amazing author but I agree with you !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not really allowed to read/watch it either! I totally agree!!

    ReplyDelete