Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

Divergent

First Line: There is one mirror in my house.

About: In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.


Author: Veronica Roth

Pages: 487

Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books

Review: I have seen this book floating around the bookshelves for a long time. People have said it's like The Hunger Games, and looking at the cover art, I could believe it. I didn't even take the time to read the synopsis, I just sort of assumed it was exactly like The Hunger Games. I don't know why I put it on my to-read list, guess I had heard enough people talking about it and thought I would give it a try. (I don't know, i do strange things without thinking)

Anyway, I started reading it and after the first page i was kind of like; "okay, interesting.... I think I kind of like it...a lot." The first day (or night, I started it pretty late in the day) I'm pretty sure I read a good 100 pages. Than the next day, thank goodness we didn't have anything to do that day, because I would've gone mad. My whole day was dedicated to reading this book... with a few breaks for living and eating. I stayed up pretty late that night to read it. After that I still had 80 pages to read, but i finished it pretty quick the next morning.

That's like, only two days! I think that is the fastest I've ever read a book... seriously.

I pretty much LOVED this book! (notice my use of both bold and italics :)

I think I loved this book more than The Hunger Games and Matched (and if you remember my reviews for both I liked those quite a bit.) It was that good.

I absolutely loved the plot.... it was beautiful, but painful. And the characters were awesome. The story idea itself is like.... GAHHH! I loved it sooo much!

Sorry. 

I so didn't fangirl while reading this book... noooo. It's not like half-way through the book I took a quiz to see what faction I would be in... no... (BTW, I'm Amity... just thought I'd let you know) nothing like that...

Yeah. I have joined another fandom. i'll admit it.

It's just so beautiful!

Anyway. The characters. Get back on track, Hannah.

I did like the cast in this book. Most of the time i'm annoyed with one or more characters, even in books I love, but I didn't have this problem with this book.

And the plot!... ahem... okay. it was nice... for the first 70% of the book... Then it exploded! It just pounded my heart into something sad.

I need the next book!

And *spoiler* I totally shipped Tris and Four from the beginning .. but of course, it was kind of predictable by the way she described him the first time she saw him... *spoiler*

Anyway, a greeeeaaaat book! (pick it up now and read it!)

Romance: Lots of kisses and some mention of inappropriate things. The best part!? No love triangle! Thank you Ms. Roth!

Violence: Yeah... ahem... lots. They like wake up and fight people. Then the end... ugh! okay, yeah, lots.

Other fun Stuff: 

“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.” 
― Veronica RothDivergent 


“I might be in love with you." He smiles a little. "I'm waiting until I'm sure to tell you, though.” 
― Veronica RothDivergent 

“Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.” 

― Veronica Roth, Divergent

“Peter would probably throw a party if I stopped breathing.'


'Well,' he says, 'I would only go if there was cake.” 
― Veronica Roth, Divergent

“Sometimes crying or laughing are the only options left, and laughing feels better right now.” 

― Veronica Roth, Divergent

Recommended Age: 13-14+

Rating:

Yeah... I'm going to go fangirl now.

4 comments

  1. I loved this book! It's one of my favorites. I'm so glad you read and enjoyed it too. No love triangles=awesomeness! The second book is amazing. Lots of conflict. And the end? Jaw-dropping, and yet inevitable. I can't wait to read what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought book two last year shortly after it came out. Glad you're officially on the Divergent fan train. Did you know that there's an ebook short using Four's perspective. Also this month Veronica announced there'll be short stories published as well. As you can guess I'm a huge Divergent fan and can't for both the book this fall and the upcoming movie. Happy you gave this book such a great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting! I've read both The Hunger Games Trilogy & Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children- do you think this would be fine?

    Layla.

    ReplyDelete