Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

The Runaway King


First Line: I had arrived early for my own assassination.

About: A kingdom teetering on the brink of destruction. A king gone missing. Who will survive? Find out in the highly anticipated sequel to Jennifer A. Nielsen's blockbuster THE FALSE PRINCE!

Just weeks after Jaron has taken the throne, an assassination attempt forces him into a deadly situation. Rumors of a coming war are winding their way between the castle walls, and Jaron feels the pressure quietly mounting within Carthya. Soon, it becomes clear that deserting the kingdom may be his only hope of saving it. But the further Jaron is forced to run from his identity, the more he wonders if it is possible to go too far. Will he ever be able to return home again? Or will he have to sacrifice his own life in order to save his kingdom?
The stunning second installment of The Ascendance Trilogy takes readers on a roller-coaster ride of treason and murder, thrills and peril, as they journey with the Runaway King! (goodreads)

Author: Jennifer A. Nielsen

Pages: 331

Publisher: Scholastic Press

Review: *Warning: Review contains spoilers for The False Prince and The Runaway King*

Sometimes I think that authors try  to hard to turn their story into a series. I don't know why, but series have become very popular these past couple years. When I finished reading The False Prince a year or so ago, I felt like it would have been a pretty good stand alone. It didn't have as much action or adventure like most books in it's genre, but to me it was a satisfying read.

I read The Runaway King mostly because I was curious to see what Ms. Nielsen would add to the story.

I must admit, even though I do think The False Prince would be a fabulous stand alone, I kind of loved this book. It had way more action than the first book, which I loved to death, and the new characters that we met were pretty awesome. (though when I first met Fink, I thought he should be a bit older, but that's probably just me)

Sage/Jaron is his usual self. He can always make me laugh! He's a bit exaggerated, but I love him. :)

I like how the author brought the story out of Carthya, so that we were able to see different places in this world Jennifer made up.

We get to find out what happened to Roden. (I won't tell you how, because that's a big enough spoiler for you)

The pirates were pretty brilliant. I love pirates now!

I was a bit confused though why all of a sudden there's a war a brewin'... I didn't quite understand that, but I might've   missed something...

All and all, I was quite pleased with this book, and now I'm even more curious how the last book is going to end...

Romance: There is a bit of romance between Imogen and Sage/Jaron. Nothing happens, no kiss or nothing, but you can totally tell!

Violence: Waaay more than the first book. This one's got pirates so yeah, vi-o-lence!

Rating: 
More like 4 1/2, but whatever, I still really enjoyed this book. :)


P.S. By the way, completely irrelevant to the book, but I hate the new cover for The False Prince. I just hate the way the new crown looks :P Sorry, crazy rant.

1 comment

  1. I didn't read your entire review, but I'm just dying to read this book and it looks like it was good :D

    ReplyDelete