Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

My top 10(ish) favorite books of all time

Oh boy.

I got a post request from Hannah Elise the other day. She asked me to post about my top ten favorite books.

I told her how hard it is for me to choose favorite books. My books are my babies, my children. How could I choose a favorite out of them?

But I decided to do it anyway.

I did do a "Top ten books of 2012" post, if you would like to read that too. :)

Here we go...
***

#10: Everything on a Waffle by Polly Horvath 

I read this book the firs time in forth grade. But the sad thing is, I don't remember a thing about it. I just remember that it was my favorite book that year, and i loved it. I loved it enough to re-read it again when I was 10. And yet, still, don't remember... i think I need to re-read it again... 
***
A Newbery Honor Book By the author of "The Trolls," a National Book Award Finalist. 
My name is Primrose Squarp. I am eleven years old. I have hair the color of carrots in apricot glaze (recipe to follow), skin fair and clear where it isn't freckled, and eyes like summer storms. 
Readers will know right from the start that the narrator of" Everything on a Waffle" is going to tell her story straight and pull no punches. Primrose's parents have been lost at sea, but she believes without an iota of doubt that they are still alive, somewhere. She moves in with her Uncle Jack, but feels generally friendless. Her only real refuge is a local restaurant called The Girl on the Red Swing, where the owner, Miss Bowzer, serves everything on waffles -- except advice and good sense, which come free of charge and are always reliable. 

Food in general plays an important role in Primrose's journey toward peace and understanding (a recipe dictated in her unmistakable voice is appended to each chapter), and readers will eagerly cheer her on through this funny, bittersweet novel. (Goodreads)

#9: The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare

My mom was reluctant to read this book to my sister and I at first. She didn't know if she should be reading a book if it has witches in it. But it was on the suggested reading list, so she read it. I was about 10-11 years old. I really, really loved this book. It wasn't really about witches at all. This book is based in the 1800s (at least I think...) around the time of the Salem Witch Trials. The main character, Kit, has been labeled a witch by pretty much the whole town, when really she hasn't done anything wrong. It's a very good book. I own it on my ereader and have re-read it maybe twice since the first time my mom read it to me.
***
Orphaned Kit Tyler knows, as she gazes for the first time at the cold, bleak shores of Connecticut Colony, that her new home will never be like the shimmering Caribbean island she left behind. In her relatives' stern Puritan community, she feels like a tropical bird that has flown to the wrong part of the world, a bird that is now caged and lonely. The only place where Kit feels completely free is in the meadows, where she enjoys the company of the old Quaker woman known as the Witch of Blackbird Pond, and on occasion, her young sailor friend Nat. But when Kit's friendship with the "witch" is discovered, Kit is faced with suspicion, fear, and anger. She herself is accused of witchcraft! (Goodreads)

#8: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Like Everything on a Waffle, this is one of the books I read back in forth grade and remember hardly anything of. I do remember I really loved this book, though I've never re-read it since my first time reading it, but I am responsible for getting my sister, Erin, totally obsessed with it. I suggested it to her once at the bookstore, and she now owns the first three books of the series. I plan to read them all sometime to jog my memory.
***
It was a dark and stormy night; Meg Murry, her small brother Charles Wallace, and her mother had come down to the kitchen for a midnight snack when they were upset by the arrival of a most disturbing stranger. 

"Wild nights are my glory," the unearthly stranger told them. "I just got caught in a downdraft and blown off course. Let me be on my way. Speaking of way, by the way, there is such a thing as a tesseract".

Meg's father had been experimenting with this fifth dimension of time travel when he mysteriously disappeared. Now the time has come for Meg, her friend Calvin, and Charles Wallace to rescue him. But can they outwit the forces of evil they will encounter on their heart-stopping journey through space? (Goodreads)

#7: The Princess Bride by William Goldman

I read this book two years ago when my family took a trip to Florida, and fell head over heels in love with it! I wouldn't have survived that long drive if it hadn't been for The Princess Bride and my ereader! I was a wee bit confused about who actually wrote it, but I figured it out. This book is funny and totally amazing!
***
What happens when the most beautiful girl in the world marries the handsomest prince of all time and he turns out to be...well...a lot less than the man of her dreams?

As a boy, William Goldman claims, he loved to hear his father read the S. Morgenstern classic, The Princess Bride. But as a grown-up he discovered that the boring parts were left out of good old Dad's recitation, and only the "good parts" reached his ears.

Now Goldman does Dad one better. He's reconstructed the "Good Parts Version" to delight wise kids and wide-eyed grownups everywhere.

What's it about? Fencing. Fighting. True Love. Strong Hate. Harsh Revenge. A Few Giants. Lots of Bad Men. Lots of Good Men. Five or Six Beautiful Women. Beasties Monstrous and Gentle. Some Swell Escapes and Captures. Death, Lies, Truth, Miracles.

In short, it's about everything. (Goodreads)

#6: Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

If you haven't read Ella Enchanted I suggest you pick up a copy immediately! This book is the Great-Grandmother of all fairy tale retellings! it's so clever and creative... ugh... I love it!
***
At birth, Ella is inadvertently cursed by an imprudent young fairy named Lucinda, who bestows on her the "gift" of obedience. Anything anyone tells her to do, Ella must obey. Another girl might have been cowed by this affliction, but not feisty Ella: "Instead of making me docile, Lucinda's curse made a rebel of me. Or perhaps I was that way naturally." When her beloved mother dies, leaving her in the care of a mostly absent and avaricious father, and later, a loathsome stepmother and two treacherous stepsisters, Ella's life and well-being seem to be in grave peril. But her intelligence and saucy nature keep her in good stead as she sets out on a quest for freedom and self-discovery as she tries to track down Lucinda to undo the curse, fending off ogres, befriending elves, and falling in love with a prince along the way. Yes, there is a pumpkin coach, a glass slipper, and a happily ever after, but this is the most remarkable, delightful, and profound version of Cinderella you'll ever read. (Goodreads)

#5: The Miraculous journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo

My sister, Chauncea was completely obsessed with Kate DiCamillo when she was young and read every single book she had ever written. She strongly suggested I read TMJoET, so I finally did. And, obviously, I liked it... a lot. It made me cry, and laugh, and it made me love my dolls even more! (If that was even possible for a ten-year-old girl)
***

"Someone will come for you, but first you must open your heart. . . ."

Once, in a house on Egypt Street, there lived a china rabbit named Edward Tulane. The rabbit was very pleased with himself, and for good reason: he was owned by a girl named Abilene, who treated him with the utmost care and adored him completely. 

And then, one day, he was lost. 

Kate DiCamillo takes us on an extraordinary journey, from the depths of the ocean to the net of a fisherman, from the top of a garbage heap to the fireside of a hoboes' camp, from the bedside of an ailing child to the bustling streets of Memphis. And along the way, we are shown a true miracle — that even a heart of the most breakable kind can learn to love, to lose, and to love again. (Goodreads)

#4: The Help by Kathryn Stockett

This book was my first adult book, and i really quite enjoyed it. My mom read it too, and we both watched the movie, so yeah. We sort of fangirl over it... well, me more than her, but... whatever.
***
Three ordinary women are about to take one extraordinary step.
Twenty-two-year-old Skeeter has just returned home after graduating from Ole Miss. She may have a degree, but it is 1962, Mississippi, and her mother will not be happy till Skeeter has a ring on her finger. Skeeter would normally find solace with her beloved maid Constantine, the woman who raised her, but Constantine has disappeared and no one will tell Skeeter where she has gone.
Aibileen is a black maid, a wise, regal woman raising her seventeenth white child. Something has shifted inside her after the loss of her own son, who died while his bosses looked the other way. She is devoted to the little girl she looks after, though she knows both their hearts may be broken.
Minny, Aibileen's best friend, is short, fat, and perhaps the sassiest woman in Mississippi. She can cook like nobody's business, but she can't mind her tongue, so she's lost yet another job. Minny finally finds a position working for someone too new to town to know her reputation. But her new boss has secrets of her own.
Seemingly as different from one another as can be, these women will nonetheless come together for a clandestine project that will put them all at risk. And why? Because they are suffocating within the lines that define their town and their times. And sometimes lines are made to be crossed. (Goodreads)

#3: Heist Society by Ally Carter

This is the book that got me totally obsessed with Ally Carter. I love it, but you can read my review to see everything about it. :)
***
When Katarina Bishop was three, her parents took her on a trip to the Louvre…to case it. For her seventh birthday, Katarina and her Uncle Eddie traveled to Austria…to steal the crown jewels. When Kat turned fifteen, she planned a con of her own—scamming her way into the best boarding school in the country, determined to leave the family business behind. Unfortunately, leaving “the life” for a normal life proves harder than she’d expected.

Soon, Kat's friend and former co-conspirator, Hale, appears out of nowhere to bring Kat back into the world she tried so hard to escape. But he has a good reason: a powerful mobster has been robbed of his priceless art collection and wants to retrieve it. Only a master thief could have pulled this job, and Kat's father isn't just on the suspect list, he is the list. Caught between Interpol and a far more deadly enemy, Kat’s dad needs her help.

For Kat, there is only one solution: track down the paintings and steal them back. So what if it's a spectacularly impossible job? She's got two weeks, a teenage crew, and hopefully just enough talent to pull off the biggest heist in her family's history--and, with any luck, steal her life back along the way. (Goodreads)

#2: Artemis Fowl

Read my review to see all my thoughts on this book. :)
***
Twelve-year-old villain, Artemis Fowl, is the most ingenious criminal mastermind in history. His bold and daring plan is to hold a leprechaun to ransom. But he's taking on more than he bargained for when he kidnaps Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon (Lower Elements Police Reconnaissance Unit). For a start, leprechaun technology is more advanced than our own. Add to that the fact that Holly is a true heroine and that her senior officer Commander Root will stop at nothing to get her back and you've got the mother of all sieges brewing! (Goodreads)




Annnd... #1....

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien

this totally counts as one book. I read the whole trilogy in three weeks when I was 11 and loved it, I am now reading it again for school. It is totally awesome. Who doesn't absolutely love LOTR!?
***

Through the urgings of the enigmatic wizard Gandalf, young hobbit Frodo Baggins embarks on an urgent, incredibly treacherous journey to destroy the One Ring. This ring -- created and then lost by the Dark Lord, Sauron, centuries earlier -- is a weapon of evil, one that Sauron desperately wants returned to him. With the power of the ring once again his own, the Dark Lord will unleash his wrath upon all of Middle-earth. The only way to prevent this horrible fate from becoming reality is to return the Ring to Mordor, the only place it can be destroyed. Unfortunately for our heroes, Mordor is also Sauron's lair. The Lord of the Rings trilogy is essential reading not only for fans of fantasy but for lovers of classic literature as well...(Goodreads)
***
Thank you for reading through my (not so) little post :)

7 comments

  1. Cool top ten? Can you believe I haven't read any of these. Heard of most of them though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Thanks, Hannah :) Nice No. 1--mine too! I got some new names to put on my reading list. Always awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I've now read The Witch of Blackbird Pond--and I love it, too!

      Delete
  3. I've read all of them except The Help, The Miraculous journey of Edward Tulane, and Everything on a Waffle. Great list!
    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this list. I have read most of these titles and would have several of them in my own list for sure. My favorite book in the past year has been Journey (If Where You're Going Isn't Home)by Max Zimmer. It's a coming of age story about a young boy growing up in Mormon America with a dream to play jazz trumpet. Zimmer draws on his own experiences, offering great insight into the often misunderstood Mormon religion and tells an inspiring story of a young man trying to find his place in a world of conflicts.
    http://maxzimmer.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice list! Ella Enchanted is a childhood favorite of mine :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! I LOVE the Help, Ella Enchanted, LOTR, And although I have never read Princess Bride (It has been on my library list for months...) THe movie is AWESOME!!! It's my family's favorite!

    I'm excited to look into Ally Carter's books as well. Thank you for a wonderful list!

    ~A Bibliophile aka Hannah ;)

    ReplyDelete