Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

Crossed


First Line: I'm standing in a river.

About: The hotly awaited second book in the dystopian Matched trilogy In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake. Cassia's quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander - who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia's heart - change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever. (Goodreads)

Author: Ally Condie

Pages: 400

Publisher: Speak

Review: Okay, I wasn't planning on reading this book yet. I usually try to space out my reviews for series, but after that cliffhanger ending in Matched, I bought this book and started reading...

The thing I have noticed about Ally Condie's writing, it like hypnotizes you or something. It's so smooth and clear... and addicting. This happened to me when I was reading Matched. I practically read that book in a day, it was very good! And this one... Ugh! You just get to a point where you can't put it down... all you think about is reading the next chapter!

I have read mixed reviews for this book. Most people think that this on is the worst in the entire trilogy. While I did like Matched just slightly more than the first one, I did enjoy this book.

What I did like was how the chapters go back and forth between Cassia and Ky. It was very cool to be able to be in Ky's head along with Cassia (and after reading a preview for Reached, I'm pretty sure we'll get to be in Xander's head too! XD). I actually liked Ky's chapters a bit more than Cassia's. There was nothing wrong with Cassia's chapters, she was just kind of annoying most of the book. She's just living in Ky-Land throughout the whole book, which is good if you guys like gushy romance stuff.

I liked how we got to see more of Ky's story. His back story. It was really cool.

And I loved the new characters added!

Vick. (Is that his name, I don't remember :P) He.... wasn't exactly my favorite, but he was, fun? very reserved, secret. You really only get to see a little bit of his back story, but you do feel bad for him. (Okay, honestly, I don't remember much about him.)

Eli. I understand why Ky decided to bring him, really I do, but I just didn't think he was really important. But I don't know, he might play a big part in the last book. We'll see. :)

Indie. I actually didn't like her that much, except he name. She was pretty nosey, and strange... I wouldn't trust her if I was Cassia.

Hunter. I liked him the most, I think. I don't know how to explain him without giving the book away, but I really liked him! :)

I know it must seem like I don't really like these characters, but together with Cassia and Ky, it makes for a perfect group.

I can't wait to see what they have to do in the last book. :)

I don't think this book was as bad as everyone made it out to be. It was exciting enough for what they had to do in this book, and it set up the next book for me. But I must say, this book has the best (in my opinion) cover in the whole trilogy! And on my little paper back copy, the shattered pieces are textured! I would just sit in my room reading, and stroking the textured pieces without thinking. :) 

I cannot wait to get my hands on the third book! I might read it earlier than I thought I would. :)

Romance: There is most definitely romance in this book. Though most of the book is Cassia trying to find Ky, there is a bunch of kissing. Nothing bad though, which makes me happy! :)

Violence: Actually not that much. A couple people die, and there are a couple bombs and guns, but nothing to gory or violent to give small children nightmares. (though, I do not recommend this book for small children.) 

Other Fun Stuff:




“In the end you can't always choose what to keep. You can only choose how you let it go.” 

― Ally Condie, Crossed

“Everyone has something of beauty about them. But loving let's you look, and look, and look again. You notice the back of a hand, the turn of a head, the way of a walk. When you first love, you look blind and you see it all as the glorious, beloved whole, or a beautiful sum of beautiful parts. But when you see the one you love as pieces, as why's, you can love those parts too, and it's a love at once more complicated and more complete.” 
― Ally Condie, Crossed



I love.

The most reckless thing of all.” 
― Ally Condie, Crossed



“Love changes what is probable and makes unlikely things possible.” 

― Ally Condie, Crossed

Recommended Age: 14+

Rating:
Can't wait for the next book! :)

2 comments

  1. The book trailer is very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the book trailer :D This book and the writing totally had a flow and a calming effect on me too! The third book is sooo good :) I hope you enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete