Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

*Surprise Review!* Mind Games

First Line: (Fia) My dress is black and itchy and I hate it.

About: Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right. Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her—except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of the future. 

Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways…or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey.
In a stunning departure from her New York Times bestselling Paranormalcy trilogy, Kiersten White delivers a slick, edgy, heartstoppingly intense psychological thriller about two sisters determined to protect each other—no matter the cost. (Goodreads)

Author: Kiersten White

Pages: 237

Publisher: HarperTeen

Review: I honestly have no idea why I chose to read this. I was scrolling through the new books at my library, and this one came. I had seen it a bit online, but didn't really know what it was about. I shrugged and put it on hold.

When I first got it I was scared to read it, because it was the exact size and shape as Eve and Adam (a book I really didn't like). So I decided to read it quickly and get it over with.

It is a really quick read, 237 pages, I read it within two days, and probably could've finished it sooner if I didn't have a bunch of school to do in between reading.

Even though I did read it quick, I didn't really care for it.

To start, I absolutely hated Fia. I understand how she was important to the story, but she just didn't feel real to me. She curses way more than she needs to, and every guy who so much as glances at her falls desperately in love with her! ...?

Pretty much every girl in this book is described as "extremely beautiful." It feels like they all have no faults. They don't even have a single pimple! And, while they all deny being beautiful, every other character is there to reassure them that they are. Especially Fia.

I cannot begin to tell you how much I couldn't stand Fia! Her personality was annoying, and just didn't feel real. And it was hard for me to understand what her part in the book was. I eventually got it, but it was confusing.

I did however liked Annie. She was sweet, and I understood her way better then Fia. I really only looked forward to Annie's parts in the book, and wished I could just cut out Fia's part with scissors.

The way the book was plotted was kind of genius. It was told in a way that you had to put all the puzzle pieces together. There would be a chapter in the past, then a chapter in the present. It definetly helped make this book a bit more painless and interesting.

one thing I did not understand was Fia's relationships. It kind of felt like the author was trying to do a love triangle, but failed.

Honestly I hated both James and Adam. James was, like Fia, really annoying, he loves drugs and cursing and blah. And Fia and Annie go on and on how they can't stand him. /but what does Fia do? She goes dancing with him and kisses him. :P And Adam there was so little of him, and Fia doesn't really think of him much, until she sees him again near the end. Adam was the least developed character ever. I just did not care for the romance.

While I absolutely hated the characters in this book, I loved everything else. While the story was a bit confusing, I did feel like it was a good idea. I just wish the author explained the purpose for all this better. Would've made it way less confusing.

The ending was also really weird, but you'd have to read the book to know what i mean.

So if you're looking for a quick easy book, I would recommend this for you. If you can forgive the icky characters.

Romance: The worst love triangle ever! Between Fia, James, and Adam. But it was so stupid, I wouldn't even consider it a love triangle.  There is kissing, dancing, and drinking (which leads to kissing, but nothing more).

Violence: Fia injures and kills several people. This is a violent book...

Recommended Age: 14+

Rating:
Yep. 

No comments