Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

Scarlet

I did a review for a book titled Scarlet before, so not to confuse anyone, this is Scarlet by Marissa Meyer. Not Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen. Thanks, and enjoy the review.


(Review for Cinder)

First Line: Scarlet was descending toward the alley behind the Rieux tavern when her portscreen chimed from the passenger seat, followed by an automated voice: " Comm received for mademoiselle Scarlet Benoit from the Toulouse Law Enforcement Department of Missing Persons."

About: The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.
Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner. (Goodreads)

Author: Marissa Meyer

Pages: 452

Publisher: Feiwel and Friends

Review: Oh where, oh where, oh where do I begin with this one? I think it's safe to say that I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for this book to come out forever and a day!... Okay, maybe just a little over a year, but... same thing!

I read Cinder, the first book in the Lunar Chronicles last year, and loved it! (review above ^) But, dear Marissa Meyer left us with such a giganto cliff-hanger! I was dying! I had to wait a whole year for the next book! 

But I waited. During my wait I occupied myself by pacing back and forth, checking amazon and goodreads to see if they posted the cover image yet, and comforting myself "it'll be okay, the book will come out and everything will be okay." Oh, and read. I read a lot during those months.

As soon as I saw it was available for pre-order I waited until after Christmas, and, armed with my amazon gift card, bought the book. It came right on the release date, but me being me, I didn't want it to end, so I read it as slowly as possible. 

But it has ended.

Ah, this book lived up to all expectations! It was beautiful.

The good, the bad, and... other stuff?

I absolutely loved Scarlet! (the character) Maybe even more than Cinder. She's sarcastic, funny, and just a fun character. I loved the new addition to the story. Wolf was... I don't really know what to think about him. We had sort of a love/hate relationship, but whatever, towards the end he was okay. 

Cinder, awesome as always. It felt to me like she has gained a bunch more confidence since the last book. It's been awhile since I've read it, but if I remember, who Cinder was in the first book wouldn't do any of what she does in Scarlet. She knows who she is, and what she has to do for the people she loves.

Thorne... oh, Thorne. I didn't really... I don't know. He was really funny, and I often laughed whenever he said something. But I don't particularly like him. He didn't do much in this book, just followed Cinder across the globe, but I can't wait to see what exactly his purpose is in the books.

The romance between Scarlet and Wolf was kind of weird. You just met the guy, and you're kissing! Oh well, it was better than some I've read.

The plot had so many twists and turns, and I don't know what Ms. Meyer's going to do next! Now I have to wait a whole other year for Cress! Somebody hold me...

Romance: Again, I found the romance between Scarlet and Wolf weird, but I can live with it. But I did like the romance between Kai and Cinder. There was none! At least in this book. What I liked about it is that, Cinder isn't going straight to find Kai and fix everything, she is waiting until the world is saved before professing her love for him. It's what any cyborg girl trying to stop an evil queen would do.

Violence: I can't list everything, cuz there was a bunch. but don't let that turn you away, this is a good book! Every good book has violence.

Recommended Age: Anyone 13+ would love this book. Okay, 13 1/2.

Other fun Stuff:

“I knew they would kill me when they found out, but…” He struggled for words, releasing a sharp breath. “I think I realized that I would rather die because I betrayed them, than live because I betrayed you.” 
― Marissa Meyer, Scarlet

“But you're the only one, Scarlet. You'll always be the only one.” 
― Marissa Meyer, Scarlet

“I don’t see that her being cyborg is relevant.” 
― Marissa Meyer, Scarlet

“A relieved grin filled up Thorne’s face. “We’re having another moment, aren’t we?”
“If by a moment, you mean me not wanting to strangle you for the first time since we met, then I guess we are.” 
― Marissa Meyer, Scarlet

“A captain always knows where his ship is. It's like a psychic bond."
"If only we had a captain here.” 
― Marissa Meyer, Scarlet


Rating: 
five apples! XD

And now I wait....

No comments