Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

Inkheart

Veerrry late review. And I am quite ashamed that I didn't EVER post in March. :P Oh well.


First Line: Rain fell that night, a fine, whispering rain.

About: Twelve-year-old Meggie learns that her father, who repairs and binds books for a living, can "read" fictional characters to life when one of those characters abducts them and tries to force him into service.

Characters from books literally leap off the page in this engrossing fantasy. Meggie has had her father to herself since her mother went away when she was young. Mo taught her to read when she was five, and the two share a mutual love of books. He can "read" characters out of books. When she was three, he read aloud from a book called Inkheart and released characters into the real world. At the same time, Meggie's mother disappeared into the story. This "story within a story" will delight not just fantasy fans, but all readers who like an exciting plot with larger-than-life characters. (Goodreads)


Pages: 548

Author: Cornelia Funke

Publisher: Scholastic

Review: It's about time I got this review up! I think I finished this book in early March, and just kept putting off the review. So I figured, if I keep putting this off, I'm going to forget everything in the book! And here I am.

I have been hearing about this book for quite awhile. It was like Artemis Fowl. My friends kept suggesting it, and I kept saying that I'd read it sometime.

I bet all y'all have already read it, but I'm slow to find good books. 

Whenever I saw Inkheart in stores I would just look at it, think about it, and put it back on the shelf. I would read the synopsis on the back and think it was just a cliche book for elementary kids. Yup. A girl (and others) meeting book characters and going on adventures. Wow exciting. Like that hasn't been done fifty bazillion times before! 

So, I guess it's no secret I wasn't too excited to read this book. but since my friends so strongly recommended it, I finally got it from the library. (I was even less excited when I learned how thick it was)

I started it, and liked how short the chapters were (I like it a lot when the chapters are short) and kept reading it.

I read it even while I was watching the superbowl! (I'm not a football girl)

Okay... so what. I liked it... er... LOVED it. 

This is not your typical cliche elementary book. It has something about it that makes it an amazing book.

The characters for one. I actually didn't like Meggie all that much, but I grew to love all the other characters. Elenor always made me laugh. Mo was a very nice character. Can't think of anything special about him, but I did like him. And Dustfinger! Dustfinger was probably my all time favorite. 

(spoiler: I felt like crying when he learned that he dies in Inkheart)

Finoglio (did I spell it right) held a special place in my heart too. Probably because he's an author, and I can just imagine his excitement at seeing his characters in front of him.

The characters are developed so well. I loved it.

I also loved the way that the book was based in Italy. I actually thought that it was based in America until they said something indicating that the actual setting was in Italy. "Okay, another reason to love this book."

I found myself wishing that Inkheart was a real book! (well it is, but I mean the Inkheart book inside the Inkheart book.) I wanted to read Dustfinger's story. I also wished that I had Mo's power. I have several characters I'd like to meet.

there may have been a couple things I didn't like in the story, but I can't remember them. (bad hannah, for not posting this earlier.) But if you haven't already, read Inkheart! You won't look at a book the same way again.

Romance: I think that there's a little something going on between Farid and Meggie, but I don't think they get really into their budding romance until the next book.

Violence: Oh yes. but nothing too severe that it would scar your children for life.

Recommended Age: Anyone older than... 6 will love this book.

Other fun stuff:
quotes

“Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.” 
― Cornelia Funke, Inkheart

“Books have to be heavy because the whole world's inside them.” 
― Cornelia Funke, Inkheart

“Because fear kills everything," Mo had once told her. "Your mind, your heart, your imagination.” 
― Cornelia Funke, Inkheart

“It's a good idea to have your own books with you in a strange place” 
― Cornelia Funke, Inkheart

“Dustfinger still clearly remembered the feeling of being in love for the first time. How vulnerable his heart had suddenly been! Such a trembling, quivering thing, happy and miserably unhappy at once.” 
― Cornelia Funke, Inkheart


Movie trailer


Rating:
Five apples... Maybe I should stop judging books before i read them.

2 comments

  1. Now I'm really considering reading this... =D I started reading it, and then for some reason put it done... *glares at myself* But I watched the movie haha =D (did you watch the movie? How did it compare with the book??)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was really good!!!! You should read the next two books also though the romance and violence get considerably more serious:/

    Layla.

    ReplyDelete