Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

Guest Post: Words

Greetings, stranger-friends!

My name is Sarah and I hail from the blogs of Maidens of Virtue and Sarah, Plain & Average.  Welcome to In Neverland!  Hannah is so kind as to allow me to pose as a guest author while she is absent.

A couple weeks ago, when Hannah let me know the date on which I was to post (today!), I had no idea what I wanted to say.  That's how it usually is, right?  I prayed about it quite often in the following days, my greatest fear being that I would end up wasting the reader's time...  But late last night, as I lay in bed worrying over what I was going to say, it came to me.  This is a writer's blog, correct?  So, that's it!

I'll write about...


Many times I find myself speaking before thinking.  I do not consider myself an outgoing person, actually, I am quite shy, though that has definitely changed in the last few years as I have grown to be more open.  However, speaking before thinking is - how shall I say? - Not. Good.

Have you ever been in a clothing store where there, at the storefront or in the center square, are displayed a posse of mannequins dressed in the clothing of "the now" and you think, "Ew.  Those colors so totally clash."  Or you are walking through Walmart and mutter to yourself as this tattooed guy with huge circle earrings, body hardware, and some modern form of a mullet passes by, that he definitely needs Jesus, and a shower, and he turns to you and remarks, "Peace, man.  Jesus loves the weird."

*ahem*  Okay, that was a little over-the-top, but you know what I mean.  That hasn't happened to me, by the way...

How about this one:  You are walking down a corridor whose walls are filled with local art from high-schoolers - oil paintings, charcoal, pencil, etc. - and you come across the form of a modern masterpiece and all of a sudden, before you can stop it, one word exits your mouth: "Yuck."  And just as fast, your sister shushes you, and you blush red from embarrassment, hoping none of the other browsers heard your thoughtless remark.

True story.

My point is, though I'm sure no one heard my one-word statement, had the person whose art was displayed been standing next to me, would they have been injured?  Well, duh.  I mean, of course!

You may have heard it said, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

Untrue.  The most powerful weapon in this world is not a sword or arrow, it is the tongue.  Proverbs 18:21 says, "Life and death are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit." This doesn't exactly mean power as in, "Go forth, my minions, and dispose of mine arch-enemy So-and-so, and thy reward shall be great!"  Uh, no.  We possess the power to build each other up - to encourage and strengthen - or bring one another down, leaving nothing but helpless, empty shells.

Words are powerful.  How we use them is of the utmost importance.  Jesus says, rather bluntly, "I tell you that on the day of judgment people will have to account for every careless word they speak." (Matthew 12:36, HCSB)  This simply means we will be judged, by God Himself, for every careless thought we think and every word we speak.  That's sobering, isn't it?

How incredible is it that He is a forgiving God!  Yes, we will be judged, not only for our words but for our actions as well.  But we have a promise that He will forgive if only we ask.

"How joyful is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered!"
(Psalm 32:1, HCSB)

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." (Mother Teresa)

I thought it fitting to conclude this post with a song.  This is the Hawk Nelson band, featuring Bart Millard from MercyMe, singing a new hit called, of all things, "WORDS."

Please listen.



And there you have it.  My words of wisdom for the day.  Hope it wasn't a waste of your time and that you enjoyed it!

A very special thanks to the lovely Hannah for allowing me to pose as her guest.  Thanks to you as well for reading!

If you would like to visit my blogs, please click here and here.

Blessings,
Sarah

2 comments

  1. Great post, Sarah! Certainly not a time-waster. :D
    It *is* so important to be mindful of words, espedcially as writers. Thank-you for sharing with us!
    Lady R

    ReplyDelete