Fantasy Gypsy © 2011-2017. Powered by Blogger.

*Surprise Review!* Eve and Adam

Yep another surprise review! :) I was debating whether or not to post this one, but, as you can see, I finally decided to just post it.

First Line: I am thinking of an apple when the streetcar hits and my leg severs and my ribs crumble and my arm is no longer an arm but something unrecognizable, wet and red.

About: In the beginning, there was an apple—

And then there was a car crash, a horrible injury, and a hospital. But before Evening Spiker’s head clears a strange boy named Solo is rushing her to her mother’s research facility. There, under the best care available, Eve is left alone to heal.

Just when Eve thinks she will die—not from her injuries, but from boredom—her mother gives her a special project: Create the perfect boy.

Using an amazingly detailed simulation, Eve starts building a boy from the ground up. Eve is creating Adam. And he will be just perfect... won’t he?


Pages: 291

Author(s):  
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends

Review: What was it that attracted me to this book, I wonder??? was is the cool cover? The neat blurb? Or just the idea of a story about a futuristic Adam and Eve that appealed to me? I don't know what it was, or how I came to read this book, all I know is that I did.

I found this book on Goodreads awhile back, and for whatever reason found it interesting enough to put on my to-read list.

A couple weeks later, I find out that my library has it and viola, i have it in my hands.

I'll admit, I was excited for this book. It looked very promising. It wasn't until I finished the first chapter when I realized... yeah, this isn't going to be what I thought...

First of all, this IS NOT sci-fi. I am a complete sci-fi nut, and that did confuse me a bit. I kept asking myself if this was sci-fi, or modern day... I didn't know. But after reading through other reviews, I think I have decided that this is modern day.

I don't know much about Iron Man, but the Spiker's seemed sort of like the Stark's, futuristic for their time. I don't know, again, I haven't seen the Iron Man movies.

Okay, so now that that's out of the way, I can get to the story.

Yay.

The book read like a moderately to horribly written fan-fic. If you've ever read a bad fan-fic, you know what I mean. 

It had no depth. It seemed like they (the authors) were trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator possible. It just made me go, "ugh".

There was zero difference between the Eve chapters and the Solo chapters. (though I liked Solo's chapters slightly better than Eve's) 

They were both really annoying actually. 

The plot was also very inconsistent. The car crash was squeezed into three pages as the first chapter, and the whole apple thing was just unnecessary to me.

It was very fast in some places and very slow in others.

I honestly couldn't stand the characters, they were either like Eve and Solo, completely... well... them. Or they were overly exaggerated.

Like Aislin, an overly exaggerated, drunk best friend of Eve. I disliked this girl with a passion.

Terra Spiker, Eve's mom who is another example of the over exaggerating, she is described time and time again as the worst person who ever walked the planet. But really you never got to really meet her, and honestly, the little bit that you see of her, she really isn't THAT bad. 

Maddox, seriously, i don't know why they had to have him, you don't even meet the guy at all. he's just Aislin's loser boyfriend, and honestly, I don't know why she doesn't just break up with him.

Then there's Adam... Oh Adam. He was literally only in the book to make this an Adam and Eve story. he is so clueless, and really, we all knew what would happen with him. but really he is only in like the last five chapters. They could've totally taken him out and there would be no difference.

And on top of all of that, there was cursing, inappropriate talk, and a whole mess of things i didn't care for.

The romance was also desperately predictable, and the characters kiss in the most random times.

... And the sorry excuse for a love triangle between Adam, Eve and Solo. Come on, we all knew who she was going to end up with!

the ending was utterly confusing for me too. okay, so you just fought those crazy scientists, and you leave to shower together? Another thing I didn't care for.

I guess you get it. I didn't like this book.

The only thing keeping me from giving it one star is literally only about two or three sentences of good writing, and that's not much.

No matter how much I wanted to like this book, I just couldn't. Nice try, Eve and Adam, you just aren't for me. 


Romance: Oh, there was so much, I shouldn't even go there.

Violence: Yep, lot's of violence too. :P

Recommended Age: 14+

Rating:
I'm not even sorry.

4 comments

  1. Not a good read, eh? I can believe it. Even that first line is pretty bad.

    As regards the over-exaggerated mom, I find it bothersome when the author tries to convince you that a character is awful (or awesome) by simply having everyone in the book say that they're awful (or awesome), and they never show the character as being all that you've heard they were.

    Really, I could complain along with you about every complaint you made -- in general, if not specifically pertaining to this book, since I haven't read it. It sounds like "Eve and Adam" was really poorly executed. A darn shame, but it happens every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hannah! I've nominated you for the Liebster award at my blog. Also, I just realized you're a member of team Jem for Tessa in the Inheritance Chronicles. We're going to have to have a long talk about this.
    ~Sarah Faulkner

    http://inklinedwriters.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tagged you :)
    http://simply-hannah-elise.blogspot.com/2013/01/elf-meine-freunde.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep doing what you're doing!

    A Writer's Nakama
    http://writing-1234.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete